Thursday, October 6, 2016

Day Zero minus 1

5 Oct. 2016Today was a day of rest with little fun features not included on the brochure.More meds added to the regimen, all prophylactic applications, the special one being a blood thinner administered subcutaneously... in my belly. One shot every day.The reason for the blood thinner is simple: as the chemo kills the white blood cells and platelets, it is also releasing gunk into my vascular system that can create clots which would be a bad thing.I walked 11 laps (1/2 mile), 10 laps short of the required. I met another AU fan who is a couple days ahead of me in the cycle. clearly a nascar fan, he was walking in the correct direction while I was going against traffic.My appetite began to diminish today, in part because of the Kapivance coating my taste buds, but it also camouflages the flavor of hospital food which ain't such a bad thing. I'm just focusing now on fresh fruits and veggies because they've yet to screw up grapes and lettuce.Met my new night nurse, Tasha. Asking her where she was from she said everywhere because she was a military brat, which led to the next question, "what branch?" "Air Force" she replied. "Ahh", I said. "I was in the Navy but was stationed on an Air Force base in Okinawa" to which she replied "that is where I was born!" "What year" I asked. "1988." "I was stationed there from '79-'82."I received a call from my Men's group leader Bobby telling me there were several men from many groups willing to take 8 hour shifts to insure coverage after my initial discharge. Amazing to be associated with such men of character. Their willingness to participate with me going through this ordeal reminds me of a few verses in the Bible:
James 2:18, 26
 18 Now someone may argue, “Some people have faith; others have good deeds.” But I say, “How can you show me your faith if you don’t have good deeds? I will show you my faith by my good deeds.”
26 Just as the body is dead without breath, so also faith is dead without good works.
And
Matthew 25:34-40
34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. 36 I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.’37 “Then these righteous ones will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing? 39 When did we ever see you sick or in prison and visit you?’40 “And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!’

Additionally, I received a couple of texts from my boss Ken, just checking in and a call from James touching bases. These two men have also put their faith to work, and I'm honored to be associated with them.The rest of the day was 'chill.'

Lastly, my neighbors accepting the burden of caring for our chickens and the cat.

Meeting the needs of others is love expressed as a verb.

No comments:

Post a Comment