Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Day Five

Well, I haven't posted for the last few days, here's why.

Day 2 was not a significant day in that nothing really changed much.

Day 3, the bottom started to drop out and I descended into the proverbial basement where I was met with severe nausea, headaches and insomnia. Sleeping is an illusive and rare treat these days.

Blood counts were on schedule, and signs and symptoms have all been expected. The Doctor has repeatedly said I am still the most boring patient on the floor... which is a good thing.

Day 4, I finally hit the floor. White blood cell counts reached 0.7, and Platelets dropped out of the normal range. Up to day three, I've been able to take a walk outside around the campus of Emory, but yesterday, I was restricted to the floor. On my floor, 21 laps equals 1 mile, and I've been diligent to get 1 1/2 miles each day, but yesterday, I only got 1/2 mile before feeling the the scraped off dog crap on the edge of the curb.

Last night, I took a mild sleep aid, and it may have worked if my sleep hadn't been continually interrupted.

The big challenge in not gagging on the thick saliva being generated because of the drugs given to me prior to the procedure. My appetite has diminished to next to nothing, and since yesterday, I have lost 13lbs in one week. Beats the hell out of nutria-systems so look for Maria Osmond to sign up soon.

Day 5.
Here we are, awake at 0400 because, well sleep only visits occasionally. 1 cup of coffee and a small cup of apple sauce, and I hit the halls. 21 laps before 8 and my first mile is done. During my walk, my nurse for the day handed me my blood work from last night. White cells are at 0.1 and Platelets have continued to drop, so outside human contact is verboten.

I have found my energy level is best first thing in the morning, and I seem to be able to stomach a small bowl of oatmeal with brown sugar, 2 pieces of whit toast and a small container of grapes.

I haven't been able to get much down after breakfast, so the docs have authorized Insure that provides all the nutrients, without a large volume which helps.

If I can motivate my self today, I'll post a little more this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment